Updated: Apr 27
Yes, Allyson Sturrock Physiotherapy is still open to assist you with your musculoskeletal needs.
Whilst many services have been closed due to COVID-19, essential services are to remain open. Amongst the essential services are health professionals. The Prime Minister specifically mentioned Physiotherapists as being allowed to and encouraged to continue to work.
It is important that we all take care of our health during this time and Physiotherapy is a vital part of this. We need to keep you healthy and active so that we can keep the GP clinics and the hospitals clear for those who need it most (and keep you away from the germs). So, keeping your musculoskeletal presentations managed truly is vital. In addition, many more are now working from home with often more compromised ergonomics as well as increased levels of stress and tension with the current circumstances. Our exercise regimens have also been affected with attendance to gym and classes no longer an option. These factors significantly increase musculoskeletal compromise, meaning that we are more vulnerable to pain and injury, so Physiotherapy is actually more important, perhaps than ever before.
Whilst the clinic is always a very clean and safe space, many additional measures have been implemented to ensure the highest level of safety for both clients and staff during this time.
The following measures are being implemented:
· A strict sickness policy that requires anyone who is unwell to cancel their appointment. If you have any symptoms prior to your appointment such as a cough, sore throat, shortness of breath or fever, you must cancel your appointment.
· If you have returned from overseas, interstate or have visited the Barossa region, you must wait 2 weeks before attending an appointment and must be free from symptoms.
· If you have been in contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with the COVID-19 or is suspected of having the virus, you must wait a minimum of 2 weeks before attending the clinic and be free of symptoms.
· Clients are asked to use the provided hand sanitiser before entering the treatment room.
· All high-touch surfaces such as the EFTPOS machine, pens, desks, benches, door handles, light switches etc are all disinfected regularly.
· Hand sanitiser or hand washing is used between all clients
· The face rest and upper limb support of the treatment table are disinfected between all clients
· Upgraded disposable face rest covers are used for each client
· Tissues and hand sanitiser are available for your use
· Clients are asked to swipe their own health fund card and tap their own credit/debit cards for payment to decrease handling of EFTPOS machines and cash
· Only the client receiving treatment must enter the clinic to ensure that social distancing can be maintained where possible and to ensure that the clinic can remain a highly sanitary environment. This means that children, friends, family or guests must not enter the clinic, including the waiting area. The only exception is where a carer is needed to assist the client. If you require someone to drive you to your appointment, the driver must remain inside the car.
We also ask the following of anyone attending the clinic (basic recommendations from the WHO):
· Hand shaking, hugging and kissing must be avoided
· Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol based hand rub or wash them with soap and water
· Avoid touching your face
· Cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze
I believe that remaining calm but being proactive by putting into place practical measures is the best approach to ensure that the health of clients and staff can continue to be my priority.
I continue to monitor the situation closely based on advice and information from the World Health Organisation, the Australian Government Department of Health, SA Health and the Australian Physiotherapy Association.
Rest assured that I have done all that I can, as always, to ensure that the clinic is a safe and clean environment so that I can continue to help you all with your Physiotherapy needs.
Many thanks for your cooperation.
Here's to helping one another to stay well.
Allyson Sturrock Physiotherapy
Shop 7/267 Smart Road
St Agnes, SA 5097